Zuora (NYSE: ZUO) is a SaaS company and the world’s foremost evangelist of the Subscription Economy®. Zuora’s leading subscription relationship management platform helps enable businesses in any industry to launch or shift products to subscription, implement new pay-as-you-go pricing and packaging models, gain new insights into subscriber behavior, open new revenue streams, and disrupt market segments to gain competitive advantage. Zuora serves more than 800 companies around the world in almost every industry. The Subscription Economy Index (SEI) demonstrates that SEI companies are growing revenues approximately nine times faster than the S&P 500. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Zuora also operates offices in Atlanta, Boston, Denver, San Francisco, London, Paris, Beijing, Sydney and Tokyo.
Sound like a place for you?
Are you a skilled attorney with experience advising on cutting-edge privacy and data protection issues? Are you a relationship- and results-oriented person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment? If so, you just may be the perfect fit for our team as we focus on helping build the next great $1B+ SaaS company!
General Description of Role:
We are seeking a smart and enthusiastic attorney to join our growing privacy team and tackle challenging privacy projects to bring our Subscription Economy products and services to market. The Senior Privacy and Transactions Counsel will focus primarily on transaction support, counseling and program support for global privacy and data protection compliance across the company. You will also have primary responsibility for supporting, drafting and negotiating privacy and data protection agreements with customers, partners and vendors.
The successful attorney will:
- Negotiate data processing agreements with customers, partners and vendors to support Zuora’s sales, operations and compliance obligations.
- Analyze new and current laws and regulations and advise on our privacy and security obligations to support our business, sales, compliance, marketing and product teams.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including senior management, on privacy and security matters to support operations and new initiatives to foster awareness and ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual obligations across the company.
- Assist in the continued improvement of Zuora’s global privacy program (e.g., policies, procedures, training programs, compliance programs, playbooks, etc.).
- Coordinate with outside counsel as necessary with respect to data protection and security matters.
- Undertake other projects as required as part of a small legal team.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience, with a focus on privacy compliance, in-house counseling and agreement negotiations.
- Substantial knowledge of privacy and security laws and regulations, especially in the European Union, as they relate to a U.S. based technology company.
- Deep experience partnering with and providing timely support to in-house business partners is required.
- CIPP certification is strongly preferred.
- Substantial experience with SaaS and software is strongly preferred.
- Relevant law firm and in-house experience (ideally at a fast-growing, global SaaS company).
- Degree from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials.
Interpersonal Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate -
- Is enthusiastic and intellectually curious about privacy and technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, high-growth company.
- Can prioritize and manage multiple matters simultaneously in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Is a creative thinker, who is comfortable with change and ambiguity and able to build scalable processes from the ground up.
- Can quickly identify and resolve issues, including balancing legal and business risks and giving clear and concise legal advice, in order to drive matters to close.
- Excels in communicating complex business, privacy and security issues to business leaders.
- Has meticulous attention to detail and quality of work product, and exceptional communication and negotiation skills.
Only candidates in good standing with at least one state Bar should apply. Position will be located in Zuora’s San Mateo headquarters or at its Atlanta, GA or Boston, MA offices - no relocation offered for this position.