Octopart is looking for a Data Scientist to help electrical engineers make data-driven design decisions, support our product team in understanding user behavior, and enable our business team to drive growth through actionable data insights. You’ll answer critical business questions, model electronic component data, develop part pricing models, predict user click behavior, and develop and manage reporting. Every month, 650,000+ engineers and part buyers use Octopart to find parts, research pricing and availability, find datasheets, and select components for new designs.
We have an extensive database of over 40 million electronic components, daily pricing data from over 200 distributors, and website activity from over 650,000 visitors each month. We use AWS Redshift for data warehousing and recently migrated to Looker for analytics, reporting, and visualization. Our search index is based on Elasticsearch.
We’re an entrepreneurial and supportive company whose employees genuinely enjoy working together to solve interesting problems.
In a typical week you will
- Analyze user interactions to measure and improve the performance of our search algorithm
- Develop models for electronic part pricing, supply chain properties, categorization, and data across distributors to identify outliers, error, and fraud, or to assess part value
- Create, manage, and update reports to support our sales team and our customers
- Work with our product and engineering teams to develop testing procedures to improve product development
- Collaborate with peers to write, review, or provide feedback on proposed technical changes
- Contribute to internal tools to help our sales team and provide analytics for our business team
What we're looking for
- MS, or PhD in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, or Engineering; or equivalent training and work experience
- Experience with SQL (Redshift preferred), Looker, and Python
- Experience with machine learning classifiers and models
- Experience with web analytics and advertising
- Strong knowledge of statistics
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- You’re practical and realistic: you can start contributing to a production system and make things better
- You write understandable code with a focus on results and simplicity
- You’re willing and able to help fix things when they break
- You’re independent and self-motivated with empathy and a positive attitude
- You’ve worked on web applications in a language such as Python, Go, Ruby, PHP, or Java; you can modify our code to track and collect the right information when needed
- Familiar with search technology like Elasticsearch or Solr
- Interest in hardware hacking or electronics
Interested in working at Octopart?
Email [email protected] and tell us about yourself and attach any relevant information. (Resume, CV, github profile, examples of your work).