Octopart is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to help us build the best electronic part search engine. Every month, 650,000+ electrical engineers and part buyers use Octopart to find parts, research pricing and availability, find datasheets, and select components for new designs. You’ll build systems to support new features, develop and automate processes to improve site reliability, and expand our infrastructure to support our growing audience.
Our data stack is Linux, Python, MySQL, and Elasticsearch. Our main web application is written in Go. For the last year, all our new applications use Docker. We do CI with Jenkins, CM with Ansible, and are deployed on AWS. We’re transitioning our single-region deployment to globally distributed infrastructure.
On-call incident response and support responsibility is shared on a rotating basis throughout the engineering and development team.
We’re an entrepreneurial and supportive company whose employees genuinely enjoy working together to solve interesting problems.
In a typical week you will
- Understand developer needs and application requirements to improve deployment, monitoring, alerting, configuration, secrets management, and logging
- Develop, improve, and test disaster recovery and backup systems
- Launch new systems and infrastructure to support new applications and audience growth
- You’ll collaborate with peers to write, review, or provide feedback on proposed technical changes
- You’ll help our support team triage bugs and implement solutions
- You’ll work on operations problems and troubleshoot production issues
- You’ll contribute to internal tools to help our sales team and provide analytics for our business team
What we're looking for
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields, or equivalent training and work experience
- 3+ years experience in an SRE, Operations, or Developer role
- Experienced with AWS services: CloudFormation, SQS, Redshift, EC2 Container Service
- Experienced with Linux, Ansible, and Docker
- You’ve worked on web applications in a language such as Python, Go, Ruby, PHP, or Java
- You’re practical and realistic: you can start contributing to a production system and make things better
- You write understandable code with a focus on results and simplicity
- You’re willing and able to help fix things when they break
- You’re independent and self-motivated with empathy and a positive attitude
- Experience writing Go, possibly in a web application
- Experience with Elasticsearch or Solr
- Interest in hardware hacking or electronics
Interested in working at Octopart?
Email [email protected] and tell us about yourself and attach any relevant information. (Resume, CV, github profile, examples of your work).