The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking applicants for the position of Operations/DevOps Engineer to join our Technical Operations team. EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. We work to ensure that rights and freedoms are enhanced and protected as our use of technology grows.
EFF's Technical Operations team is the team responsible for designing and maintaining EFF's systems and networks while also providing hardware and software technical support for EFF's staff. The ideal candidate must work well with a very busy staff with varying levels of technical expertise. Because our team benefits from close communication with each other and the other teams at EFF's San Francisco office, working remotely is not an option.
- Monitor and improve the performance and reliability of production GNU/Linux platforms, network infrastructure,services, and network-attached devices like PBX and conference systems.
- Maintain the corresponding documentation
- Participate in on-call rotation and incident response efforts, perform blameless postmortem reporting
- Develop and implement process improvements in the way we build, secure, manage, and maintain our infrastructure over its lifecycle from design through deployment, operation, and retirement
- Respond to support requests within team-defined Service Level Agreements (SLAs). This includes working closely with other teams to design and adapt systems for changing program and operational requirements
- Scale and standardize systems through automation
- Communicate effectively about technical issues with non-technical parties
- Have a deep respect for user privacy and organizational security
- 5 years of system administration, site reliability engineering, or other ops experience in a unix-like environment
- Excellent organizational, communication and people skills
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks
- Understanding of common algorithms, data structures, computational complexity analysis, and basic software design
- Experience in one or more of the following computer languages: C, Python, Go, Bash / POSIX shell, Rust, PowerShell, Perl
- Experience collaborating on engineering projects and processes
- Experience operating cloud infrastructure including the configuration and maintenance of virtual servers & load balancers
- Experience with TCP/IP network design, installation, and debugging
- Experience with relational database administration
- 10 years of experience operating and maintaining servers running unix-like operating systems
- Experience in a large-scale or critical production service environment
- Experience working in a managed cluster environment (such as Kubernetes, Mesos, Docker Swarm)
- Fluency in multiple programming languages
- Experience working in an environment controlled by orchestration tools like SaltStack, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- A history of open-source contributions (bug reports, pull requests, projects / packages)
- Experience with network hardware and network hardware configuration orchestration
- Experience with key-value or graph database administration
- Experience using, designing, and implementing CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with SSO, SAML, OAuth and other industry standard AuthN/AuthZ solutions
- Experience with bring-your-own-device fleet management in a mixed environment (GNU/Linux, macOS, iOS, Android, etc.)
EFF is a fantastic place to work. We offer an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, student loans assistance, housing cost assistance, parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build a diverse and inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Limited Visa Support: We welcome applications from all qualified applicants. However, this job requires U.S. work authorization. EFF may be able to provide support obtaining a visa in appropriate circumstances.
Interested in joining the team? Apply here with:
- A cover letter introducing yourself and telling us why you want to work at EFF.
- A resume in PDF format with links to recent work.