Onto – Creating exciting career opportunities in Germany.
Hello & Guten Tag!
Onto is Europe's largest electric car subscription service. Having grown at over 550% annually and with over 6,000 subscribers at the end of 2021 - Onto is making up approximately 5% of all new electric car sales on a monthly basis in the UK today.
For a flat monthly fee, Onto customers get the latest electric cars with insurance, servicing, breakdown cover and free public charging at over 12,000 locations across the UK. There is no deposit and only a 1-month rolling commitment. Hassle-free, emissions-free and affordable driving.
How does it work? Simple. It’s a fully digital service. Sign up and we’ll deliver your car to your door as soon as within 72 hours. You just need to unlock your car with the Onto app and enjoy your drive!
We are a high-growth tech scale-up, having launched 4 years ago with significant funding from top-tier VCs, most recently raising £125 million of equity and debt in July 2021 through a Series B funding round.
Following great success in the UK, we are now planning to enter into Germany, the largest automotive market in Europe. The German office, through a full legal entity (GmbH) will be responsible for conducting all Onto’s activities in Germany working with the European HQ located in the UK.
EV adoption is growing rapidly in Germany with over 355,000 fully-electric cars sold in 2021. In fact, EVs more than doubled their share of the overall car market and our flexible subscription model offers drivers in Germany a simple and hassle-free way to join the electric car revolution.
There’s no sign of the trend towards electrification slowing down any time soon. Backed by government incentives in an attempt to make it more affordable for consumers in Germany to make the switch to a more sustainable lifestyle.
We’re set to bring all our accumulated knowledge and experience, technology, and the strength of our existing partnerships to the German market. With 1-in-3 new car buyers already considering a subscription, there’s millions of potential customers and lots of room for us to blossom!
This is an exciting time to work at Onto and this role is a hands-on opportunity to make a real impact on the business.
Join us as we bring the future of car ownership to Germany!
We’re a tight-knit and diverse bunch who care deeply about creating an amazing team for each and every person to work in. We understand the best way to create a product that our customers love is to create a team in which people love working. We are passionate about technology but also know that the purpose of our technology is to create a delightful product experience for our customers.
For anyone who has never worked for a company with a physical aspect to their product, this creates its own set of challenges for our teams. Our core digital product relies on customers using our mobile app to access their cars. Any issues or errors mean that someone can’t use the car correctly and creates a poor customer experience.
Our operations teams also use our own technology to manage our fleet and deliveries to and from customers. Missing a delivery ultimately means the car does not turn up at a person's house. This cannot be fixed by just updating the data in our database, meaning the quality of what we build is paramount to creating a delightful customer experience.
As you would expect from a tech-driven company we’re working across a number of exciting technologies. We’re cloud-based at heart, focussed around AWS. Our back-end technology of choice is Python 3.7 using the Django framework with our front end written in React 16.8 with Redux. We also use GraphQL for our APIs. Our apps are native, written in Swift 5.2 using SwiftUI and Kotlin 1.4 respectively.
A day in the life of one of our engineers is extremely varied. Many of the problems we are solving daily have not been solved before. As we double our fleet size every three months, it’s the role of OntoTech to ensure that every customer gets the full benefits of our product each and every time they use their car.
By joining us now you’ll be joining at an early stage in our growth. Your role will truly be impactful to our customers each and every day. You’ll also get to work with us as we scale our platform and solve the technical challenges this will entail.
- Previous experience working as a Product Operations Manager or in similar roles working on product discovery, process change and delivery (e.g. consulting, product management roles etc)
- Experienced working in a dynamic start-up / scale-up environment, relishing the challenges that each new day brings
- Someone with strong analytical skills who can make data-driven decisions, encapsulating both quantitative and qualitative data, while including research & design in your decisions.
- You’re passionate about solving customer problems and have a deep sense of empathy. The customer is at the heart of everything we do, and you’ll be expected to put yourself in their shoes to help better inform our decisions.
- A clear communicator - you’ll need to bring cross-functional teams along the journey with you in a concise and well-structured manner.
What you will do:
As a result of the recent $175m series-B funding round, Onto is going through a period of massive growth across engineering with the team planned to double in size this year and next.
Product Operations is the glue that connects our Global Technology Platform with the local individual needs of each market. Your role is to understand both the current product and how it works in the UK market as well as looking at what may need to change for it to work in Germany. We aim to build a single platform for all markets that uses variability to trigger local features and functionality. You will work closely with all of our product squads and cross-functional stakeholders to surface market-specific requirements, prioritise, roll-out and iterate on these features.
Working in collaboration with Operations, Marketing & Technology you will:
- Work with our Germany Country Manager, leadership team and associated functions in order to identify key business challenges and opportunities and translate these into product features required for your market.
- Be the resident product-expert in your market, ensuring teams are up to speed with the product and how we work.
- Work closely with Product Managers to help manage our Product outcomes, initiatives and roadmap.
- Manage and build the OKR’s relevant to your market and to the wider Product teams.
- Coordinate regular updates to stakeholders to ensure market & company wide product awareness.
- Identify tooling and processes to help support multi-team & cross-country collaboration.
- Construct playbooks for future country expansion.
- Facilitate user interviews as well as other forms of market research.
- Drive operational efficiencies with the team in Germany using our current Product & Technology stack.
Product-Ops plays a pivotal role in Onto’s growth strategy into new markets. We believe the insights you will gather will help us succeed within the market and ultimately drive customer satisfaction.
For this role, you will need to have:
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end product development lifecycle and experience working closely with Product & Engineering teams in a modern agile / scrum environment.
- Ability to translate complex operational processes into problem-spaces for Product teams to explore.
- A focus on the end customer - you are passionate about building systems to give them a delightful experience.
- Technical understanding and ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent and well structured written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Proven record running multiple projects across a number of product teams.
We know that you don’t always tick every box - that is why we would still be interested to hear from you if you think you would be a good fit for our team!
What we can offer you:
- An opportunity to drive innovation and be a true partner to the business, working closely with the management team to help build an international brand
- Independence, meaningful challenges and significant impact from day one
- A friendly work environment with a diverse group of motivated and visionary colleagues
- New office in the style of a co-working space
- Competitive salary with annual reviews
- Reward and Recognition monthly and every quarter for all employees
- 30 days holiday in a year (in addition to bank holidays)
- Summer and Christmas Party
- Quarterly off-sites and many team building events (digitally at times)
- Flexibility to work from home
- 200 EUR annual learning budget for your ongoing professional development & continuous learning
- Further benefits to come: company car/car allowance, staff options scheme, corporate discounts and many more
Have we caught your attention?
Please send us your application, including your cover letter and CV in English or German, your earliest start date and salary expectation. We look forward to hearing from you!
Onto is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. All applicants are given equal opportunity, regardless of age, gender identity or expression, language, disability, ethnic origin, religion, belief, culture or sexual orientation.
For more information about our current opportunities, please visit our careers site.
Thank you for considering joining Onto!